Servings: 4-6Time: Prep-10 minutes, Cook-4 minutes
Hardware: Cutting board and knives, measuring spoons, two bowls, a fork, a heavy skillet, a plate, a paper towel
- 2 pieces of bacon
- 2 large green tomatoes
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup corn meal
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- ½ cup oil for frying
- Feta cheese, balsamic glaze
|When you crunch into these you'll believe you're down home!|
- Fry the bacon in the skillet to render the fat. (Eat the bacon or save it for another dish.)
- Wash the tomatoes and slice them about ¼ inch thick. Discard the ends.
- Mix the flour, corn meal, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper in one bowl.
- Beat the egg in the other bowl. Stir in the buttermilk.
- Cover the plate in the paper towel.
- Heat the oil and the bacon fat over medium heat.
- Dredge the tomatoes in the flour mixture and shake off the excess, then dip them in the milk wash, and dredge them in the flour again.
- Place the tomatoes in the hot oil without allowing them to touch. Fry them until they are golden brown and then flip them. This should take about 2 minutes. When they are golden brown on the second side (another 2 minutes) remove them to the plate to drain on the paper towel.
Serve them warm, sprinkled with feta cheese, and drizzled with balsamic glaze.