Honey Walnut Shrimp
If you’ve ever eaten at Panda Express, you’ve probably had this dish. Crispy shrimp and glazed walnuts make a tasty combo. Now, you can have it at home, in the middle of the night, in your underwear.
Figuring out the sauce was the hard part. I know that Bang Bang Shrimp’s secret ingredient is mayo and to make Sweet and Sour Meatballs you need ketchup, so I went the condiment route. Mayo it is! Then honey and cream complete the simple sauce, which I will be serving over other dishes. Panda Express uses tempura batter, but I took a short cut. Easy is my favorite flavor.
Time: Prep: 20 minutes; Cooking: 20 minutes; Shrimp in 40 minutes
Hardware: A measuring spoons and cups, a cutting board and knife, 3 deep bowls, a whisk, tongs, a skimmer or a slotted spoon, a saucepan, a deep, heavy skillet, a parchment covered, plate a paper towel covered plate, an oil thermometer
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup walnuts
- Salt & Pepper
- 1-pound large shrimp (peeled and cleaned)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup cornstarch
- ½ cup mayo
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Oil to fill the large skillet halfway
- Cooked white rice and 2 green onions
- Slice the green onion. Generously salt and pepper the shrimp. Set aside.
- Bring the water and sugar to a boil over medium. When the sugar has dissolved, add the walnuts and boil for 3-4 minutes. Remove the walnuts with the slotted spoon and allow to cool on the parchment covered plate.
- Add enough oil to fill the heavy skillet up halfway. Heat it on medium high. When the temperature reaches 375°, the pan is ready.
- Beat the eggs in one bowl. Place the cornstarch in another. Dip the shrimp first in the egg mixture, then in the cornstarch and then place in the hot oil. Fry them for 3-5 minutes or until cooked through. Use the tongs to turn halfway through. Don’t crowd the shrimp. You may need to cook them in batches. Move them from the oil to the paper towel lined plate. Keep them warm in the oven on the lowest setting.
- When the shrimp are finished whisk the mayo, honey and heavy cream together in the third bowl. Toss the warm shrimp and walnuts with the sauce.
- To serve, place cooked white rice in a bowl, add some shrimp, walnuts and sauce, then garnish with slices of green onion.