|Open Faced Chicken Parmesan Sandwiches|
Servings: 6-8Time: Prep: 5-10 minutes Cooking: 20-25 minutes
Hardware: A cutting board and knife, measuring spoons and cups, 3 shallow bowls, a fork, a whisk, a paper towel covered plate, a deep skillet, tongs, foil, a baking sheet
- 1 ½ lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast-sliced very thin
- 2 tablespoons + 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- Oil for frying
- Large loaf of French bread
- 16 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 ½ cups pizza sauce
- Slice the mozzarella and set aside.
- Cut the chicken in half horizontally so that it is thin. Season the chicken on both sides with 1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning.
- Put the flour in the first bowl. In the second bowl whisk the eggs and milk together until completely blended. In the last bowl, toss together the crumbs and remaining Italian seasoning.
- Heat the oil on medium high.
- Dip the chicken into the flour and shake to remove the excess. Dip the floured chicken into the egg and then press it into the crumbs to make sure it is covered.
- Fry the chicken for 4-5 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Don’t crowd the chicken. You may need to cook it in batches. Remove the chicken to the plate. You can keep it warm in the oven on the lowest setting, while finishing up.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚. Line the baking sheet with foil.
- Cut the French loaf in half like a hot dog bun. Then, in the other direction, cut it in half and half again. You should have eight bread slices.
- Top each piece of bread with 2 tablespoons of pizza sauce. Top the sauce with chicken. Top each sandwich with 2 more tablespoons pizza sauce. Cover each sandwich with 2 ounces of cheese.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve with a side salad.