|Crispy Shrimp in a Creamy Basil Sauce|
You will take more time to read this recipe then you will to prepare it. This is one of my go to weeknight dishes. Just add a side salad and winner/winner shrimp dinner!
You can buy shrimp pre-cleaned. If you clean it yourself, add 10 minutes to the prep time. You can substitute chicken breast cut into bite sized chunks if you don’t like seafood.
Time: Prep: 5 minutes; Cooking: 10 minutes; Dinner in 20 minutes
Hardware: A measuring spoons and cups, a cutting board and a knife, a gallon plastic bag, a deep, heavy skillet, a sauce pot, tongs, a wooden spoon, a skimmer or a slotted spoon, a paper towel covered plate, an oil thermometer
- 1-pound large shrimp
- ½ cup cornstarch
- ½ cup Italian style breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup of basil pesto (I use Buitoni or make my own)
- 1 cup cream
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- a pinch of red pepper flakes
- Oil to fill the skillet halfway
- Salt and pepper
- Prepared angel hair pasta
- Garnish: shredded fresh basil, parsley or chopped chives
- Slice the garlic and measure everything. Generously salt and pepper the shrimp. Place the cornstarch, Italian seasoning and breadcrumbs in the plastic bag. Shake the bag. Add the shrimp to the bag and shake like crazy. Set everything aside.
- Add enough oil to fill the heavy skillet up halfway. Heat it on medium high. When the temperature reaches 375°, the pan is ready. You can also sprinkle a few crumbs into the oil. It should immediately begin to sizzle.
- Shake as much of the breadcrumb mixture from the shrimp as you can. Fry them for 3-5 minutes or until cooked through. Use the tongs to turn halfway through. Don’t crowd the shrimp. You may need to cook them in batches. Using the skimmer, move them from the oil to the paper towel lined plate. Keep them warm in the oven on the lowest setting.
- When the shrimp are finished, melt the butter in the saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for about 1-2 minutes or until fragrant (don’t brown.) Add the cream and pesto, stirring continuously. Cook until the cream mixture begins to bubble. Stir in the Parmesan cheese. As soon as the cheese melts, remove the sauce from the heat. Taste and adjust the salt and pepper.
- To serve, place cooked pasta in a bowl, add some shrimp, top with the basil cream sauce. You can garnish with something green like torn basil leaves.