Time: Prep: 20 minutes; Rest: 5 minutes, Cooking: 30 minutes
Hardware: A measuring cup, cutting board and knife, a large pot, a fork, a small saucepan, a colander, a mixer, a serving bowl
- 1 ½ pounds red potatoes
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces CRUMBLED feta cheese
- S& P to taste
- Wash and dice the potatoes. Try to make sure all the potatoes are cut to about the same size to ensure that they cook evenly.
- Peel and quarter the onion. Remove the hard stem part and separate the layers.
- Place the potatoes in the large pot, add the salt, and cover them with water. Bring them to a boil over medium-high.
- When the water is boiling add the onions.
- Boil until the potatoes are done. Check the biggest pieces with a fork. They should fall apart when poked. This should take about 25 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat the cream and the feta in the saucepan over medium heat until the cream is just simmering. Do not boil. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Note: The feta will not melt. That is why it is important to use crumbled feta.
Put the veggies and the cream mixture into your stand mixer or a bowl.
Mix to mash the potatoes and onions.
Let the potatoes stand for 5 minutes to thicken.
Salt and pepper to taste, stir, then serve.