I love Sweet and Sour Meatballs. I wanted see if I could make it with just my kitchen smarts and my taste buds' superpowers. So we went to an Asia buffet and I really studied the Sweet and Sour Sauce. I knew that the sweet came from pineapple juice and figured the sour must come from vinegar. But where did that day-glo pink color come from? Ketchup.
So this is my Sweet and Sour Meatballs. I am really happy with this. I don’t kow if this is authentic, but it tastes good.
Servings: 4-6Hardware: Measuring spoons and cups, a mixing bowl, un-powdered latex gloves, a large heavy pan, a slotted spoon, a paper towel covered plate, knives and a cutting board, a whisk, a small bowl Time: Prep: 15 minutes Cooking: 40 minutes
- ½ pound ground beef
- ½ pound ground pork
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ⅔ cup pineapple juice
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup white vinegar
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 medium bell pepper
- ½ cup pineapple chunks
- 2 green onions
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
|Sweet and Sour Meatballs|
- Put on latex gloves and combine all the meatball ingredients, except the oil, in the bowl and mix with your hands. Make golf ball sized meat balls.
- Heat the oil on medium. Brown the meatballs on all sides for about 8 minutes. Turn it ¼ time every 2 minutes.
- While the meatballs are cooking wash the bell pepper and cut into long thin strips. Roughly slice the green onion. Set aside.
- Move the meatballs to the paper towel covered plate. Rinse the pan.
- In the rinsed pan whisk together the juice, sugar, vinegar, honey, ketchup, and soy sauce over medium high heat. Whisk until everything is incorporated and the liquid is boiling. Add the meatballs, pineapple, pepper, and green onion. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, turning the meatball halfway through.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in the small bowl with the water. Stir the cornstarch-y water into the sauce. Allow it to boil for another 2-3 minutes or until it thickens.
- Serve immediately over hot rice.