Time: Prep time: 5 minutes, cook time: 20 minutes, rest: 5 minutes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound spicy Italian sausage
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1-14 ounce can low sodium tomatoes
- 2 ½ cups low sodium chicken broth (or water)
- 1 cup fat free milk
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 2 cups shredded provolone cheese
- Chop the onion and garlic.
- Heat the olive oil on medium high.
- Remove the sausage from its casing. Cook and crumble the sausage with the onion and garlic. This should take about 7 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, milk, Italian seasoning, cornstarch, and pepper flakes to the pot. Stir and allow the mixture to come to a boil.
- Add the pasta and allow it to return to a boil. Turn the heat down to simmer and cover. Cook for 11-12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the cheese and remove from the heat. Allow the pasta to rest for 5-7 minutes, uncovered. The sauce should thicken while standing.
Serve with a Caesar salad.