Servings: 6-8Time: Prep: 10 minutes; Cook: 15-20 minutes
Hardware: Measuring spoons and cups, a cutting board and knives, a big knife, a microwave safe plate, a large spoon, large soup pot, an immersion blender (or blender, or food processor), a can opener, a wooden spoon, a ladle, serving bowls
- 1 butternut squash (1½ -2 pounds)
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 5-6 large basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon yellow curry paste
- 1-14 oz can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- Garnish with cream and crystallized ginger
- Cut the squash in half with the large knife. Scoop out the seeds and stringy stuff. Put the squash, cut side down, on the microwave safe plate and zap for 10 minutes or until the squash is soft.
- While the squash is cooking, put the broth, basil leaves, ginger, onion powder, and salt on to boil.
- When the squash is cool enough to touch, use the large spoon to scoop out the soft flesh and add it to the boiling broth. Boil until the squash is completely soft. Stir in the curry paste. Turn off the heat. Fish the basil leaves from the soup. Use the immersion blender to completely purée the squash and ginger.
- Stir in the coconut milk and butter.
- To serve, ladle a serving into each bowl, top with a swirl of cream and a few pieces of chopped crystallized ginger.