This recipe is at the request of my sister, Angelina. One of my favorite memories is making egg rolls in her kitchen.
Servings: 8-10 egg rolls
Time: Prep: 20 Cook: 20
Hardware: Measuring spoons and cups, a cutting board and knives, a skillet or wok, a wooden spoon, a can opener, 3 bowls, a pastry brush, foil, a baking sheet
|Healthy veggies all rolled up in a crispy crunch|
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 medium shredded carrot (about ½ cup)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 green onion
- 1 tablespoon pickled ginger
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon + ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons of soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon fish sauce (optional)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1-4 oz can of baby shrimp (I use Geisha)
- Egg roll wrappers (I use Nasoya)
- 1 egg
- Cooking spray
- Wash and shred the cabbage and carrot. Wash the green onion and slice it as thin as you possibly can. Chop the garlic and the pickled ginger.
- Drain the shrimp. While holding the lid in place, rinse with clean water and drain again. Set aside.
- Fold in the drained shrimp.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°. Line the sheet with foil and spray the foil with cooking spray.
- Work with 1 wrapper at a time. Keep the other wrappers in their container or they will dry out.
- Place the egg in the bowl and beat it.
- Place the wrapper with one corner closest to you as if you were looking at a diamond.
- Brush the wrapper with egg making sure to cover the edges.
- Place 1-2 tablespoons of the cabbage mixture in the center of the wrapper. Spread out so that the filling isn’t a big lump in the middle.
- Fold the corner closest to you over the filling. Tuck the wrapper in around the filling.
- Fold both corners over the filling as if you were making an envelope.
- Snuggly roll the egg roll up until it is closed. Be careful not to tear the wrapper.
- Press the edges to make sure it is sealed.
- Place the egg roll on the foil covered sheet.
- Continue making egg rolls until you have used all the filling.
- Spray all the egg rolls with cooking spray.
- Bake for 10 minutes.