Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Middle Eastern Meatballs

I was experimenting with goat cheese and this idea jumped into my head.  So,   I made these meatballs for a dinner party and they were very popular.  My very picky husband even requested that I make them again.

I might try them later incorporating some ground lamb.  Be forewarned that they splatter more than regular meatballs.  I think the liquid in the cheese causes this.  I have a splatter guard.  Something worth purchasing.

Servings: 25 meatballs
Hardware:  Measuring spoons and cups, a mixing bowl, un-powdered latex gloves, a large heavy pan, a fork
Time:  Prep:  10 minutes    Cooking: 1 hour

 
Ingredients:
  • 1 ½ pound ground beef
  • ½ cup bread crumbs
  • 8 ounces chèvre (goat cheese)
  • 1 tablespoon dried parsley
  • ½ tablespoon Greek seasoning
  • 1 tablespoon dried dill
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • Stock
  1. This is easiest to do with your hands.  Put on latex gloves.
  2. Combine all the ingredients in the bowl and mix with your hands. Mash the cheese up and mix it in well.  Make golf ball sized meat balls. Make sure to compact the meatballs, because the cheese will make them fall apart.
  3. Heat the oil on medium.  Brown the meatballs on all sides for about 8 minutes.  Turn it ¼ time every 2 minutes. The meatballs will splatter because of the cheese.
  4. Drain the fat from the pan.
  5. Add enough liquid to the pan to cover the meatballs about 2/3 of the way.  Simmer them for about 45 minutes.  Check the largest meatball to see if it is done. 




Serve over Mediterranean Couscous with warm Yogurt Sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment