Servings: 8Hardware: Knives & chopping board, measuring cups & spoons, NO POWDER latex gloves, roasting pan, thermometer, kitchen twine, sauce pot
Time: Prep-10 minutes, Cook-1 hour, 10 minutes
- 4 Cornish game hens
- 4 tablespoons + 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons Herbs de Provence
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 4 teaspoons of sweet paprika
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Remove the hens from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before you want to cook them.
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Cut the onion into quarters.
- Rinse the hens and cut off the butt flaps and wing tips. Place the hens in a roasting pan, breast side up. Put an onion quarter into each hen’s cavity. Tuck the wings under and tie the legs together with binding string to help the hens hold their shape.
- Wearing the gloves, rub each hen with butter. Sprinkle the hens with Herbs de Provence, S&P, and paprika.
- Place the roasting pan on the center rack.
- While the hens are cooking, heat the broth with the remaining butter, keep warm. About half way through cooking time baste the hens with the broth.
- Roast for about 70 minutes or until the thermometer reads 165° when inserted into the thickest part of one of the thighs.
- Turn the oven up to 450° for the last 5-10 minutes of cooking to brown the skin.
- Remove the onion quarters and allow the hens to rest for 5-10 minutes before cutting them in half.
- Save the pan drippings to make gravy.