I know that most people traditionally have a bread based dressing with their turkey. However, wild rice and brown rice are much healthier than bread. The addition of vegetables and dried cranberries make this side dish even healthier. Wild Rice Mélange has a wonderful earthy aroma and an interesting mix of texture and tastes. I don’t think you will miss the stuffing. Trust me.
Hardware: knife and cutting board, measuring spoons and cups, sauce pot with a tight-fitting lid, large skillet, and a wooden spoon
Time: Prep 15 minutes, cooking 55 minutes
- 1 cup wild rice and brown rice blend
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter + 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 4 ounces of mushrooms (about a cup)
- 1 small onion (about ½ cup)
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ a carrot (about ¼ cup)
- ¼ cup Craisins
|Wild Rice Mélange|
- Dice the garlic, rinse and slice the mushrooms, dice the onion, shred and then dice the carrot. Set aside.
- Rinse the rice.
Put the rice, broth, and 1 tablespoon of butter in the pot and cover with a tight-fitting lid.Bring the rice to boil. Stir, reduce to a simmer, cover and simmer 45 minutes. DON”T LIFT THE LID.
- Remove the rice from the heat and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Don’t lift the lid.
- While the rice is resting, heat the olive oil on medium high. Add the vegetables, walnuts, and Craisins and sauté 5 to 7 minutes or until the mushrooms begin to release their liquids. Stir into the rice with the remaining butter.
- Serve warm.