Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Monday, August 31, 2015

Cheesy Broccoli Orzo

I often make Cheesy Broccoli Rice, but this is just as tasty and cooks in half the time. Cheesy Broccoli Orzo is an easy side dish at dinner or a hearty meatless lunch.

Prepare this while Braised Chicken with Tomatoes is in the oven.  Then open up a pre-washed bag of salad and you have a meal that everyone will love.

Cheesy Broccoli Orzo
Serves: 4-6
Time:  Prep: 5 minutes, Cook: 20 minutes
Hardware:  Measuring spoons and cups, a cutting board and knives, a sauce pot, and a wooden spoon

Ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon of butter
  • ½ a small onion (¼ cup)
  • 1 cup orzo
  • 2 cups liquid (I used 1 cup water and 1 cup chicken stock)
  • 1 cup cooked broccoli florets
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • Salt & pepper
  1. Cut the onion and broccoli into tiny pieces.
  2. Heat the onion and butter on medium until the onions begin to sweat. Add the orzo and stir. Toast the orzo until it is golden brown.
  3. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir. Allow the liquid to come to a boil.  Stir, lower the heat, and cover. Simmer the pasta for 15 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
  4. Add a few grinds of fresh black pepper.  Taste and adjust the salt.  Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment