Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Sunday, August 30, 2015

Braised Chicken with Tomatoes


This is so easy to make that I cannot believe that I haven’t written it down for you before.  This is my go to meal when I have no idea what to make for dinner. You need NO SKILLS to make this delicious main dish. If you can chop vegetables and use a can opener, you can do this.
This is also versatile. You can change the herbs to create a completely different meal. I used rosemary because I had extra on hand.  However, you could use Herbs de Provence, Italian seasonings, chili powder and cumin, or even curry. If you use curry, substitute water for the wine. 
Only use the fresh tomatoes if you plan on serving them as a side dish. They are delicious served over rice. If you just need a braising liquid, the can will do.

Servings: 4
Time:   Prep: 5 minutes; Cook: 60
Hardware:  measuring cups, a cutting board and knives, a large heavy bottom skillet that can be used on the stove and in the oven (I prefer a cast iron skillet), a wooden spoon, tongs, a can opener, a plate, a thermometer

Ingredients:
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • 1 small onion
  • 4 chicken thighs
  • 1-14 ounce can diced tomatoes –DO NOT drain
  • 1 cup white wine (maybe less)
  • 2 large sprigs of fresh rosemary (½ tablespoon dried)
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh or dried parsley
  • 2 or 3 large tomatoes (optional)
  • Salt

  1. Pre-heat the oven to 375˚.
  2. Dice the onion and garlic. Slice the tomatoes. Set aside.
  3. Salt both sides of the chicken very generously.
  4. Heat the olive oil in the skillet on medium high. Add the chicken skin side down. Cook for 5 minutes or until the skin is crispy. Turn the chicken with the tongs and cook for 5 more minutes. Remove the chicken to the plate and pour off most of the fat.
  5. Add the onion and garlic to the skillet. Cook until the onions are translucent, for 2-3 minutes. Lay the tomato slices down in the pan. Pour the can of tomatoes on top of the fresh tomatoes.
  6. Sprinkle in the parsley and the rosemary if you are using dried. Toss in a pinch of salt.
  7. Lay the chicken on top of the tomatoes, skin side up. Pour in enough wine for the liquid to come half way up the thighs.  Don’t cover up the crispy part of the skin as it will get soggy.
  8. Tuck in the rosemary if you are using fresh.
  9. Place in the oven for 45 minutes or until the thermometer reads 160 degrees when inserted into the meatiest thigh.
  10. Allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes before serving.  Remove the rosemary stems.  Taste the tomatoes and adjust the salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment