Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Mashed Savory Sweet Potatoes

I love sweet potatoes.  However, I prefer them savory to sweet.  Even if you have a sweet tooth, I think that you will enjoy this, too.

Servings: 6-8
Time:  Prep: 20 minutes;  Cooking:  30 minutes
Hardware:  A measuring cup, cutting board and knife, a veggie peeler, a large pot, a skillet, a colander, electric beater, a plate covered in a paper towel

Ingredients:
  • 4 slices of thick cut maple bacon
  • 4 large sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds)
  • 1 small onion  (½ cup)
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 4 cloves of garlic
  • ½ cup whole milk
  • ⅛ cup sour cream
  • S&P
  1. Peel the potatoes and cut into small cubes.  Cut up the onions.
  2. Place the potatoes and onions into the large pot and cover in water.  Boil until the potatoes are tender (about 25 minutes.)  Drain.
  3. While the potatoes are boiling, chop the garlic.  Cook the bacon in the skillet until it is crispy.  Place the bacon on the paper towel covered plate.
  4. Drain most of the fat from the pan, but don’t clean it.  Sauté the butter and garlic over medium heat in the same pan you cooked the bacon in.  Sauté until the garlic is golden.  Pour the garlic, butter, etc into the large mixing bowl.
  5. Add the potatoes, onion, sour cream and milk to the bowl and beat until they are creamy. S&P to taste.  Top with crumbled bacon and serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment