Servings: 6-8Hardware: A cutting board and knives, measuring spoons and cups, a large soup pot with a lid, a Dutch oven or a heavy ceramic dish, a skillet, foil, a wooden spoon
Time: Soak: 8-24 hours, prep: 10 minutes, cook 3 hours (maybe more)
- 1 pound bag of great northern bean, soaked and drained
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 8 oz of fresh chorizo sausage-removed from the casing
- 1 small onion (½ cup)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1½ cups ketchup
- 1 cup spiced rum
- ⅛ cup molasses
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons spicy mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- A pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 cups low sodium chicken stock (maybe more)
- 4 slices bacon
- Pick over the beans and place them in a large soup pot. Cover them in cold water, place a lid on the pot, and soak them for at least 8 hours or over night. Drain the beans and discard the soak water.
- Bring the beans to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer until the skins begin to burst. This will take 45 minutes to 1 ½ hours. Drain and place in the Dutch oven.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Wash the onion, garlic, and parsley and dice them, the smaller the better. Remove the sausage from the casing and slice the bacon. Set to the side.
- Heat the olive oil in the skillet on medium high.
- Add the onion, garlic, parsley, and sausage. Turn the heat down to medium.
- Stir and allow the onions, etc to sweat for 4-5 minutes. The onions should be bubbling, but not browning. Stir occasionally.
- Stir in all the remaining ingredients except the stock and the bacon.
- Bring to a boil. Allow to boil for 2-3 minutes stirring constantly.
- Mix the hot liquid, chicken stock, and diced bacon into the beans. Cover in foil.
- Bake, covered, for 1 hour. Check half way through, stir, and add more stock if the beans are dry.
- Uncover and bake for another ½ hour to 45 minutes or until the beans are tender.
Start these beans now, call some friends and have a summer party tomorrow: Beef kabobs, Spicy and Sweet Broccoli Slaw, Mactastic Macaroni Salad, corn on the cob, and Raspberry Lemonade