Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Pear Infused White Wine Vinaigrette


Pears infuse this dressing with a delicate fruit flavor
I enjoy making my own dressing. Homemade dressing is much tastier than store bought dressing and can come in as many varieties as you can dream up.

Servings: 2 cups
Time: 10 minutes
Hardware: Cutting board and knives, pot, measuring spoons and cups, a blender, a glass jar with a lid (or a salad dressing bottle)

Ingredients:
  • 2 ripe pears
  • ½ cup white wine
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • ½ cup white wine vinegar (you can use champagne vinegar or rice wine vinegar)
  • 1 ½ cup light extra virgin olive oil (the best you can afford)
  • S&P

  1. Peel, core, and chop the pears. Boil them in the ½ cup of white wine. Simmer the pears until they are very soft and most of the wine is absorbed. This will take about 3-4 minutes. Remove the pears from the heat and allow them to cool. Strain the pears.
  2. Put the pears and all the other ingredients except the oil and the S&P into the blender and pulse until the mixture is smooth, about 30 seconds.
  3. With the blender running, SLOWLY pour the olive oil in so the dressing will emulsify. Salt & pepper to taste.
  4. This can be made ahead, placed in an airtight container, and stored in the fridge for up to a week. Shake well before serving.
You can use different fruits for different flavors. Peaches, a cup of strawberries, apricots, apples, or a cup of raspberries would also work. If using berries (raspberries, blackberries,  strawberries) mash them up in the wine after boiling them. Strain the wine and use the wine rather than the berries themselves.

Serve this over my Pear and Feta Salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment