Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Spanish Style Shrimp with Couscous

I am often inspired by the flavors and tastes of other cuisines. So I decided to make a dish inspired by Spain. I cannot call this Spanish Shrimp as I am not Spanish nor am I trained in Spanish cooking.  But I think it is fair to call it Spanish Style Shrimp.


Spanish food should not be confused with Mexican food with which I am much more familiar. It actually has more in common with Italian and North African food. And like Italy each region has different ingredients and cooking styles.  But regardless of region, dishes typically include olive oil, fresh vegetables, ham, sausage, seafood, and herbs and aromatics like garlic, oregano, rosemary, and thyme. 

So, this is my take on Spanish food.  I think it turned out really well.

Servings: 4-6
Hardware: knives and a cutting board, measuring spoons and cups, 3 bowls, a fork, a saucepot with a lid, a skillet, a wooden spoon, and a large serving dish
Time:  Prep 10 minutes, cooking 20


Ingredients:
  • 1 pound (31-35 count) shrimp (You can usually buy these from your fish guy already cleaned)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 small onion (½ cup)
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 2 large tomatoes (2 cups)
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
  • ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • S&P
  • ………………………….
  • 1 ¼ cups water
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon dried parsley
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 2 bay leafs
  • 1 cups instant couscous
  • ½ cup frozen peas
  • Olive oil or lemon juice for garnish
Spanish Style Shrimp with Couscous
  1. Generously salt the shrimp and sprinkle it with the paprika and oregano.  Set aside.
  2. Chop the onion and garlic.  Seed and chop the tomatoes.  Set aside.
  3. Add the water, teaspoon of oil, parsley, and salt to the pot and bring to a boil.
  4. Add the frozen peas and bay leafs. As soon as the water returns to a boil stir in the couscous.  Cover and remove from the heat.  Allow the couscous to rest WITHOUT REMOVING THE LID.
  5. While the couscous is resting, sauté the onions and garlic in the olive oil over medium high heat.  Cook for 5-6 minutes or until the onions are translucent.  Add the shrimp and pepper flakes.  Flip the shrimp after 2 minutes.  Add the tomatoes and cook until the shrimp are cooked through, another 3-5 minutes.  Remove from the heat. When in doubt, undercook as the shrimp will continue to cook for a bit.  Taste and adjust the salt and pepper.
  6. Fluff the couscous with a fork.  Remove the bay leafs and adjust the seasonings.
  7. To plate, mound the couscous into the middle of a serving dish and make a little well in the center. Pour the shrimp into the well.  You can LIGHTLY drizzle light olive oil or lemon juice over the dish if you want.  Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment