Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Monday, June 22, 2015

Simple Vinaigrette

This is the most basic vinaigrette. Simple is best.  The basic formula for salad dressing is 3 parts oil to one part vinegar. 
You can make this dressing your own:
  • Use different vinegars like white wine vinegar, champagne vinegar or rice wine vinegar
  • Substitute part or all of the vinegar with citrus juice
  • Honey or brown sugar can be used instead of white sugar
  • You can also infuse the vinaigrette with almost any herb
  • A splash of Dijon mustard, soy sauce, or horseradish will give your dressing a little kick

Just play around.  I made this for my Beet and Goat Cheese Salad.  I replaced part of the vinegar with orange juice. I also used honey instead of sugar.

Servings:  2 cups
Time:  10 minutes
Hardware:  Cutting board and knives, measuring spoons and cups, a bowl and a whisk, a glass jar with a lid (or a salad dressing bottle), a funnel

Ingredients: 
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tablespoon minced shallot (can substitute 1 teaspoon dried mined onion)
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 ½ cup light extra virgin olive oil (the best you can afford)
  • ½ cup balsamic vinegar
  1. Place the vinegar, sugar, and salt in the bowl and whisk until the sugar is dissolved.
  2. Pour everything into the jar.  Add the rest of the ingredients and shake like crazy.  Store in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment