If you simply cannot live without meat, ¼ pound of shrimp can be tossed into the sauce during the last 4 minutes of cooking. Or you could buy a rotisserie chicken and throw in a ½ cup of shredded chicken during the last few minutes of cooking. I found this to be hearty enough without meat.
Servings: 4-6Hardware: Measuring spoons and cup, cutting board and knives, a vegetable peeler, a wooden spoon, tongs, a slotted spoon, 2 large bowls, skillet, a large pot
Time: Prep: 15 minutes, Cook: 20 minutes
- Olive oil to cover the bottom of the skillet
- 1 ½ pound zucchini
- 1 pound plum tomatoes
- 2 slices of a large yellow onion (roughly ¼ cup)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ⅔ cups water
- 6-8 basil leaves
- Salt & pepper
- 8 ounces angel hair pasta
- Shredded parmesan cheese
|Zucchini Ribbons in a Sweet Tomato Sauce|
- Bring the large pot of water to a boil. Fill a large bowl with water and ice. Make an X at the end of the tomatoes opposite the stem. Drop the tomatoes into the boiling water and boil until the skin loosens, about 2 minutes. Remove them from the boiling water and drop them into the ice bath. The skin will slide off. Chop the tomatoes and remove the seeds. Set aside.
- Slice the onion. Mince the garlic. Peel the squash. Use the vegetable peeler to cut the zucchini into long ribbons. Just keep peeling it until you reach the seeds.
- Heat the olive oil in the skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until the onions become translucent, 2 minutes. Add the squash and continue to cook for 3-4 minutes or until it is tender. Add a little salt and pepper. Place the squash into a bowl.
- Add the tomatoes, paste, and water to the skillet. Boil until the sauce is reduced by half, about 10 minutes. While the sauce is cooking, prepare the pasta according to package directions.
- When the pasta is ready, tear the basil into little pieces. Add the basil and squash to the sauce and toss with the prepared pasta.
- Adjust the seasoning and sprinkle on a little cheese