Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Cuban Sandwich Sliders

Everyone loves Cuban sandwiches.  Contining with my re-imagining of popular recipes, I decided to make Cuban Sandwich Sliders.  The pork in real Cuban sandwiches is usually marinated in mojo sauce. I added the main ingredients in most mojo sauces to the ground pork.  Great idea!  Most of my recipes require tweaking and refining, but this one was perfect the first time.

Servings: 6 sliders
Time: Prep: 10 minutes Cooking: 20 minutes
Hardware: Measuring spoons and cups, a large mixing bowl, a large heavy bottomed skillet, a spatula, a paper towel covered plate, a baking sheet, and a butter knife 
Ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon of olive oil
  • 1 pound ground pork 
  • ½ cup cracker crumbs
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon orange juice
  • 1 teaspoon lime juice
  • 1 ½ teaspoons cumin
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • ⅛ teaspoon each salt & pepper
  • 6 slider buns (mini-hamburger buns, potato rolls, etc.)
  • ¼ pound Swiss cheese
  • ¼ pound ham cold cuts (I like Boar’s Head Tavern Ham)
  • 6 tablespoons of mustard
  • 12 dill pickle slices
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°.
  2. Mix the pork, 1 teaspoon olive oil, crumbs, egg, juices, and spices together in the mixing bowl.  It is best to do this by hand. 
  3. Heat the remaining olive oil in the skillet on high.
  4. Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions and shape into ¼ inch patties.  Cook each patty on medium for 5 minutes and then turn.  Cook for 5 more minutes or until cooked all the way through. Check the thickest patty and make sure the center has no pink. Place on the plate to drain.
  5. Slice the cold cuts and cheese to fit the buns.
  6. Cut the buns open and spread with mustard. Top one half of each bun with a patty.  Top each sandwich with two pickle slices, a slice of cheese and a slice of ham.  
  7. Bake the sandwiches, open face, for 5-7 minutes or until the cheese completely melts.  Immediately close the sliders and press them down.
  8. Serve with a side of black beans and rice.
Cuban Sliders with Black Beans and Rice

No comments:

Post a Comment