Servings: 6-8Hardware: A cutting board and knives, measuring spoons and cups, a can opener, a large pot, a wooden spoon, a large non-stick skillet, a colander
Time: Prep time: 10 minutes, cook time: 15 minutes
- 8 ounces of penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 lb smoked sausage
- 1-8 oz package tomato trinity mix (find in the produce section)
- 4 plum tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1-16 oz can red beans
- 1 ½ cups cream
- ½ cup shredded Colby-Jack cheese
- S&P to taste
- Put the pasta water on to boil.
- Cut the smoked sausage into 1 inch pieces. Slice the tomatoes into ¼ inch slices, discarding the ends. Open the beans and rinse them twice, drain thoroughly.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. If the pasta finishes before the sauce, keep warm.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the oil in the skillet, over medium high. Add the sausage and allow it to brown. Flip the sausage as needed. This should take about 5-7 minutes.
- When the sausage is browned, add the tomatoes, trinity mix, and Cajun seasoning. Cook until the tomatoes soften, about 3 more minutes.
- Add the cream and beans and bring to a boil. Allow to boil for 1minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese.
- Drain the pasta and toss with the sauce. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.