Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Monday, July 11, 2011

Meatballs

Meatballs don't need a great deal of discussion.  Yum!

Servings: 25 meatballs

Hardware: Measuring spoons and cups, a mixing bowl, un-powdered latex gloves, a large heavy pan, a fork
Time: Prep: 10 minutes Cooking: 1 hour

Ingredients:
  • 1 ½ pound ground beef
  • ½ pound ground pork
  • ½ cup bread crumbs
  • ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
  • ¼ cup milk
  • 1 tablespoon dried parsley
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • ⅛ teaspoon pepper
  • ⅛ teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • Braising liquid (stock, sauce, wine, soup, whatever strikes your fancy)
  1. Put on latex gloves. Combine all the ingredients (except the oil and the braising liquid) in the bowl and mix with your hands. Make golf ball sized meat balls.
  2. Heat the oil on medium. Brown the meatballs on all sides for about 8 minutes. Turn them ¼ time every 2 minutes.
  3. Drain the fat from the pan.
  4. Add enough liquid to the pan to cover the meatballs about 2/3 of the way. Simmer them for about 45 minutes, turning them over at the 20 minute mark. Check the largest meatball to see if it is done.
You can also drop the meatballs in sauce or soup and cook them that way.   You can serve these as an appetizer, on a sandwich, cut them in half and put them on a pizza, drop them in red sauce, or serve them over noodles with a white sauce.

You can cook the meatballs, allow them to cool, and place them in a single layer on a plate. Freeze them for about an hour and then freeze them for long term storage with a food saver system.  Whenever I have free time, I make two batches of them and freeze them for later.


No comments:

Post a Comment