Servings: 25 meatballs
Hardware: Measuring spoons and cups, a mixing bowl, un-powdered latex gloves, a large heavy pan, a fork
Time: Prep: 10 minutes Cooking: 1 hour
- 1 ½ pound ground beef
- ½ pound ground pork
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Braising liquid (stock, sauce, wine, soup, whatever strikes your fancy)
- Put on latex gloves. Combine all the ingredients (except the oil and the braising liquid) in the bowl and mix with your hands. Make golf ball sized meat balls.
- Heat the oil on medium. Brown the meatballs on all sides for about 8 minutes. Turn them ¼ time every 2 minutes.
- Drain the fat from the pan.
- Add enough liquid to the pan to cover the meatballs about 2/3 of the way. Simmer them for about 45 minutes, turning them over at the 20 minute mark. Check the largest meatball to see if it is done.
You can cook the meatballs, allow them to cool, and place them in a single layer on a plate. Freeze them for about an hour and then freeze them for long term storage with a food saver system. Whenever I have free time, I make two batches of them and freeze them for later.