Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Monday, March 14, 2011

Grilled Ham & Brie Sandwiches

Now that the weather is warm everyone is looking for a yummy meal that is quick, easy, and won't heat up the kitchen.  The answer?  Sandwiches.

Servings: 4
Time:  Prep: 15 minutes Cooking:  7 minutes
Hardware:  A cutting board and knife, a skillet, a plate, a paper towel, a fork, measuring spoons, a sandwich grill (or a George Foreman type grill)
Ingredients:
  • 1 teaspoon of olive oil
  • ½ of a small sweet onion
  • 4 tablespoons of Dijon mustard
  • 6 tablespoons of raspberry preserves (seedless)
  • 8 oz. of brie
  • 1 pound of ham cold cuts (I use Boar’s Head Pepper Ham) sliced thin
  • 8 thick slices of hearty bread (sourdough or Chicago Italian)
  • 2 ½ tablespoons of softened butter
  1. Slice the onion against the grain and separate it into rings.
  2. Heat the oil in the skillet on medium high and caramelize the onions.  About 2 minutes.
  3. Drain the onions on a plate covered in a folded paper towel.
  4. Smear four slices of bread with the mustard.
  5. Smear the other four pieces of bread with the preserves.
  6. Divide the onions, ham, and cheese evenly between the slices with mustard.
  7. Top with the slices with jam.
  8. Spread the outside of the sandwiches with the softened buttered.
  9. Grill the sandwiches until they are crispy, 4-5 minutes.
Serve warm with Rosemary Sweet Potato Fries.

No comments:

Post a Comment