I realize that I always rant about “real food” and the evils of processed food. I realize that I always encourage you to make everything from scratch. However, I’m about to give you a cake mix that involves boxes and bags and all manner of processes. But as the poet Walt Whitman said, “Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself. (I am large, I contain multitudes.)” We are allowed to take things back, if only for a while.
So, you should eat real food and avoid processes food and make everything from scratch, after you make this delicious, moist cake with a dense crumb. Seriously, this cake was moist 5 days after I baked it. I made a Bundt cake in a silicon pan, so you might adjust your cooking times (probably less) if you use standard cake pans or make cupcakes.
Serves: This makes 2 cake layers, 24 cupcakes or a 10 cup Bundt cake
Time: Active time 10 minutes; Cook: 30-35 Minutes: Cooling time: varies-cake in a few hours
Hardware: Measuring spoons and cups, 2 mixing bowls, mixer, rubber spatulas, a can opener, and a Bundt pan
- 1 box of yellow cake mix (16.5 ounces) I used Duncan Hines Classic Yellow
- 1 package of caramel instant pudding (3.4 ounces) I used Jell-O Simply Good
- 1-15 ounce can of pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 3 jumbo eggs
- ⅓ cup water
- 1/3 cup oil
- Flour/butter for the Bundt pan
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- Optional: Candied ginger, Candied Maple Pecans
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter and flour the pan. Set aside. Put the cream cheese out to soften.
2. Mix the pumpkin, spices, eggs, water and oil until just combined.
3. Mix in the pudding. Beat on medium for 1 minute. Scrape down the bowl.
4. Beat in the cake mix on low speed for about 30 second and high speed for about 2 minutes.
5. Pour the batter the into prepared pan and bake it, on the middle rack, for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean. I found that I need to bake it for longer because I was using a silicone pan. Just know your oven and check the cake after 20 minutes.
6. Cool the cake in the pan for about 10 minutes then cool it completely before frosting.
7. To make the frosting mix together the softened cream cheese, sugar, salt and vanilla extract. Then add the milk, a little at a time, until it is the consistency you want. I used sliced candied ginger and Candied Maple Pecans for decoration.