Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Thursday, August 13, 2020

Zucchini Slaw

I realize that most of the recipes that I give you are for main dishes. My husband made grilled chicken last night and I created this simple salad as a side dish to go with it. I  have been working on a how-to video, but it won’t be ready for another week. So, I thought why wait to write up a new recipe.

Zucchini Slaw is really delicious and couldn’t be easier to make. Serve it instead of coleslaw or a salad. You need 8 ounces of prepared squash, so buy 2 large zucchini and 2 large summer squash. If you don’t mind spending the extra money, most grocery stores sell the squash already spiraled and you can save yourself time by buying that.

Servings: 6
Time:  Prep: 10 minutes Chill: 2 hours-Slaw in about 2 hours
Hardware:  Measuring spoons and cups, a cutting board and knife, a veggie peeler, a mixing bowl, a whisk, an airtight storage container 




Ingredients
Dressing
  • ⅔ cup mayo
  • 1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon celery seeds
  • ½ teaspoon black pepper
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
………………..
 Salad
  • 8 ounces zucchini
  • 8 ounces yellow summer squash
  • 4 ounces of matchstick carrots
  • Dressing

  1. Whisk together the ingredients for the dressing. Set aside
  2. Thoroughly wash the squash, especially if the skin is waxy, because you are going to eat the skin. Use the veggie peeler to cut the squash into then strips. Just keep peeling like you do the outside until you reach the seeds. Discard the middle containing the seeds. Cut the long strips into smaller, bite-sized pieces.
  3. Toss the squash and carrots. Then toss the slaw with the dressing until everything is thoroughly coated. Chill for at least two hours. Stir and taste and to adjust the salt and pepper just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment