Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Monday, July 1, 2019

Sweet Pepper Relish


Sweet Pepper Relish

Sweet Pepper Relish was born of my need to make an Independence Day Recipe. I wish that I had thought of this long ago. This was so good. Even my silent husband, commented on how delicious this was.



You can buy a jar of fire roasted peppers or you can roast your own. I would recommend the latter. Fresh is always best. However, I understand that people are busy and fresh is often more expensive. I ain’t mad at ya’. Even if you do not like spicy, you must add either the jalapeño or the pepper flakes. I love spice so I added both. However, the peppers and sugar make this very sweet. If You do not like spicy, I would recommend just adding the pepper flakes.






Servings: 2 cups
Hardware:  Measuring spoons and cups, cutting board and knives, a large heavy bottomed skillet, a wooden spoon (If you are fire roasting your own peppers a plate and a large plastic container)
Time:  Prep: 15 minutes (add 20 minutes if you are roasting your own peppers), Cook: 30 minutes, Relish in an hour

Ingredients: 

  • 8 ounces of fire roasted red bell pepper (start with 2 pounds if you are roasting your own)
  • ½ cup water
  • 1 small onion (4 ounces)
  • 1 jalapeño
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • A pinch of red pepper flakes.
  • Salt to taste
Fire Roasted Red Peppers


  1. Roast the pepper if you are doing them yourself.
  2. Slice the onion and jalapeño into rings and then cut the rings in half.  You can remove the seeds from the peppers if you want less heat or leave them in if you want more.
  3. Heat the pan on medium high.  Add the water, onions and jalapeño and allow them to come to a boil.  Boil for about 15 minutes stirring occasionally. The water should begin to reduce.
  4. Cut the red pepper into long thin strips. Add them, the sugar, vinegar and pepper flakes to the onions. Turn the heat down. Simmer the relish until the vegetables are soft and most of the water has been absorbed.  Stir just often enough to keep the food from sticking.
  5. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.  Taste and adjust the salt. You can serve this warm or at room temperature. 
I served this with my Red White and Blue Burgers. This is also delicious served over fish, tossed with pasta or Yellow Rice. If you enjoy this, you might try Tomato Chutney.

No comments:

Post a Comment