Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Friday, June 29, 2018

Chicken Taco Sliders



Chicken Taco Sliders
 This recipe began like so many others, my local grocery store was having a sale on rotisserie chicken. I purchased one without really having any idea what I was going to do with it.

So, when it came time for dinner, I dug through the pantry. I found a can of Ro-tel. To be honest, I always have about 5 cans of Ro-tel, the stuff is magic. I also found a package of taco seasoning. So, I thought about making chicken tacos. However, I had no shells. I did have bread. Lots and lots of bread. Which is strange, because I don’t really like bread that much. When I’m eating a sandwich, I make it about half way through before I discard the bread and just eat the stuffing. The Hawaiian King rolls were purchased for something else, but we’re talking desperation.

 
This was a minor miracle. Delicious! Inexpensive. Easy. Tasted just as great leftover. (Typing about this reminds me that there are 2 sliders left in the fridge. See you later!)


Servings: 12 sliders
Time:  Active time 10 minutes; Cook: 25 Minutes, Sandwiches in 40 minutes
Hardware:  A cutting board and large, serrated knife, measuring cups, a can opener, a silicone spatula, a mixing bowl, a microwave safe bowl, a pastry brush, an 8x11.5 glass baking dish, foil

Ingredients

  • 1-12 pack of King’s Hawaiian Rolls
  • 1-pound cooked, shredded chicken (I used a rotisserie chicken)
  • ½ cup mayo
  • 1 package taco seasoning mix (or 3 tablespoons of your own)
  • 1-10 ounce can Original Ro-Tel tomatoes
  • 1 + ½ cups shredded cheese (1 used Cheddar and Monterey Jack)
  • ⅓ cup melted butter
  • Optional-1 teaspoon cilantro, ½ teaspoon dried, minced onion


  1. Open the Ro-tel and drain. Melt the butter. Pre-heat the oven to 350˚.
  2. Mix the mayo, taco seasoning, drained tomatoes and ½ cup of the cheese until thoroughly combined. Mix in the shredded chicken.
  3. With a large, serrated knife cut the rolls in half horizontally. Don’t separate the rolls. You want one large top and one large bottom.(A)
  4. Lay a large piece of foil in the bottom of the baking dish. Place the bottom of the bread on the foil (B.) Spread the chicken mixture evenly over the bread. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the chicken, again making sure that it is spread evenly (C.) Then top with the other ‘half’ of the bread. Pour the butter evenly over the whole thing. Use the pastry brush to make sure everything is covered in butter(D.) Seal the whole sandwich up in the foil, you may need another sheet. Bake for 25 minutes.
  5. If you are using them, open the foil and sprinkle the cilantro and minced onion over the sandwich.
  6. Allow the sliders to rest for 2-3 minutes and then slice into 12 sliders.
  7. Serve warm.

A

B

C


D




No comments:

Post a Comment