Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Monday, April 9, 2018

Instant Pot Black Beans


Instant Pot Black Beans

I promise that every recipe isn’t going to be in my Instant Pot®. Still, it is so easy to use. So very easy.

We just returned from Las Vegas. We had so much fun. We ate at Gordon Ramsey’s Hell’s Kitchen and Blossom. (We did other stuff, but that stays in Vegas.) But now we are home, my husband has a terrible cold and my students’ Advance Placement Psychology exam is in less than a month. So busy, so tired.

I MacGyvered this from a few pantry items and the veggie drawer. It was so delicious and took no effort.

I didn’t soak the beans before cooking them. Remember the plan here is less effort. Allow the beans to naturally release for at least 10 minutes, they continue to cook. You can find Goya Sazón in the the Hispanic food section at your grocery store. I use the Coriander & Annatto flavors. You can control the heat with the type of Ro-Tel you use. If you do not like spice, chose Ro-Tel mild. Original is spicier than mild. Ro-Tel hot is Very spicy. Of course, that is what I used.

Servings: 6-8
Hardware: A cutting board and knives, measuring spoons and cups, an Instant Pot®, a can opener, a wooden spoon, a silicone oven mitt
Time: Active time: 10 minutes; Cook: 40 minutes; Beans in about an hour

Ingredients:

  • 1 pound of dried black beans, rinsed and picked through
  • 1 large onion (8 ounces)
  • 1 bell pepper (8 ounces)
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • 1 jalapeño pepper
  • 1 can Ro-Tel tomatoes
  • 6 cups veggie stock
  • 2 packets Goya Sazón
  • Salt
  • 4 cups of hot, cooked white rice, diced Spanish onion, cilantro and hot sauce

  1. Roughly chop the onions, peppers and garlic. Open the Ro-Tel.
  2. Pick over the beans and place them in the Instant Pot. Pour in the veggie stock. Stir in the chopped veggies and tomatoes.
  3. Make sure the lid is in the sealing position. Seal and pressure cook on high for 40 minutes. Allow the steam to naturally release for at least 10 minutes. That means that you just leave it alone. After 10 minutes, you can put on the mitt and change the valve to release. Wait until the float drops. Carefully, with the opening facing away, open the lid. Turn the IP off (cancel.) Stir in the Sazón and use the sauté feature to bring the beans back to a boil. Salt to taste. Turn the IP off.
  4. Serve right away over rice, garnished with diced onion and a little cilantro. Offer hot sauce to your guests.

No comments:

Post a Comment