Vodka Sauce is so simple to make. Even though the sauce requires few ingredients, the flavors are complex-sweet, tangy, slightly spicy and with a creamy mouth feel. The vodka brings out flavor in the tomatoes and helps keep the cream from separating without adding any flavor of its own, the way wine would.
Vodka Sauce is a good winter food, thick and creamy and aromatic. I tossed in shrimp and served it over angel hair. However, it is heavier sauce and will hold up well to a tube pasta like penne.
Time: Prep: 5 minutes; Cook: 40 minutes
Hardware: measuring spoons and cups, a cutting board and knives, a skillet, a wooden spoon, an immersion blender, a can opener
|Shrimp in Vodka Sauce|
- 1 lb 21/25 count shrimp-cleaned with tails removed
- Olive oil for the bottom of the skillet
- 1 medium onion (1 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1-1 ½ teaspoons red pepper flakes (depends on your taste)
- ½ cup vodka
- ¾ cup cream
- Parsley for garnish
- Generously salt the shrimp. Dice the onion and garlic.
- Cover the bottom of the pan in oil and turn up to medium high. Sauté the shrimp for 2 minutes or until just pink. Then flip and cook through. Set the shrimp aside and clean the skillet.
- Melt the butter in the skillet on medium. Add the onions and garlic and sauté