I filed this under sandwiches, because I imagine people looking for tacos are looking for something more taco-y. You can use your own hot sauce, but nothing smoky. I like heat, so I added a little powdered habanero into the flour. Even if you don't like heat, this is meant to be spicy. Add as much spicy as you can. I served mine with slices of lightly salted tomatoes as a side dish. You can also offer sour cream to your guests, as this helps with spicy food.
|Yum! Yum! Shrimp Tacos|
Serves: 4-6Time: Prep: 20 minutes; Cook: 15 minutes
Hardware: A cutting board and knives, measuring spoons and cups, a heavy skillet (for frying), 2 shallow bowls, a mixing bowl, a slotted metal spoon (or a spider/skimmer), an oil thermometer, a whisk, a rubber spatula, a paper towel covered plate, a plate and a paper towel
- 1 pound large shrimp (21-25 count)
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ cup corn starch
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper
- oil for frying
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup Thai sweet chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons Sriacha sauce* (or more depending on your taste)
- 2 green onions
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 8 small flour tortillas
- Clean the shrimp. Generously salt & pepper. Set aside.
- Chop the green onions and set aside.
- Beat the eggs in one of the shallow bowls.
- Mix the flour, corn starch, garlic powder, onion powder, and a dash of salt and pepper in the second bowl.
- Add enough oil to fill the heavy skillet up half way. Heat it on medium high. When the temperature reaches 375°, the pan is ready.
- Place the shrimp into the flour and shake as much flour as you can from the shrimp. Dip the shrimp into the egg mixture and back into the flour mixture to create a crust.
- Fry the shrimp for 3-5 minutes or until cooked through. Don’t crowd them. You may need to cook them in batches. Use the thermometer to keep the temperature between 370° and 375°. Using the slotted spoon, move them from the oil to the paper towel covered plate. You can keep them warm by placing the plate in the oven on the lowest setting.
- While the shrimp is cooking whisk the mayo, chili sauce, and hot sauce together. Adjust with salt and pepper.
- When the shrimp is done, toss all the shrimp with the sauce and green onions.
- Wrap the tortillas in a moistened paper towel and microwave them, on a plate, for 30 seconds.
- To serve, place some shredded cabbage on each tortilla then top with some shrimp. Yum! Yum! Indeed.