Hardware: 2 large plastic Ziploc bags, 2 plates, plastic wrap, paper towels, measuring cups and spoons, a cutting board and a knife, a large heavy skillet with a lid (I use cast iron), thermometer, tongs, a sauce pot, a garlic press
Time: Prep-15 minutes, Rest time: 30 minutes, Cook-15 minutes
(Start prep about 2 hours before you want to serve)
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cups vegetable oil for frying
- ½ stick of butter
- 2 cups hot sauce
- 4 cloves of garlic
- blue cheese dressing, shredded lettuce, hoagie rolls
- Cut the chicken breast into tenders, removing any fat or gristle.
- Mix the flour, cornstarch, salt, garlic powder, and pepper in a Ziploc bag. Shake up.
- Put the eggs and milk in the other Ziploc bag. Shake like crazy. Make sure the eggs are completely mixed.
- Put the chicken in the flour. Shake up. Removing as much flour as possible, put the chicken in the egg mixture. Then back into the flour mixture.
- Put the chicken onto the plate and cover it in plastic wrap. Put in the fridge for 30 minutes. This will help the batter adhere to the chicken. You can leave the chicken in the fridge for up to three hours. Remove the plate from the fridge about ½ hour before cooking to allow the chicken to warm up.
- Put enough oil in the pan to fill it about half way up. Pre-heat the oil until it is 350°. This step is very important to keep the chicken from absorbing too much oil and becoming greasy. You will want to adjust the temperature while cooking so the oil stays between 350° to 400°.Place the tenders in a single layer in the hot oil. Do not crowd the chicken. You may need to cook it in batches.
- Cover the chicken and do not turn for at least 7 minutes. Turn the chicken and cook until it is a crispy golden brown, about 7 more minutes. To make sure your chicken is done, cut into the thickest piece, the juices that run out should be clear and the meat should be completely opaque and have no hint of pink.
- You can place the chicken on a paper towel covered plate in the oven on the lowest setting to keep it warm while the other chicken is cooking.
- While the chicken is cooking place the hot sauce, butter, and crushed garlic in the sauce pot on medium high. Stir until the butter is melted. Turn off the heat.
- When all the tenders are finished, toss them in the sauce. Make sure they are all coated. You can let them sit in the sauce for a minute or two.
- To serve remove them from the sauce. Place the tenders on hoagie rolls and cover in blue cheese dressing. Top with shredded lettuce.