Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Thai Curry Butternut Squash Soup

I was inspired to make this soup by my cousin, Nicole, and the abundance of fall gourds available at the grocer’s.  The soup is so fragrant, warm, and velvety good that it will definitely be added to my regular rotation.

Servings: 6-8
Time:    Prep: 10 minutes; Cook: 15-20 minutes
Hardware:  Measuring spoons and cups, a cutting board and knives, a big knife, a microwave safe plate, a large spoon, large soup pot, an immersion blender (or blender, or food processor), a can opener, a wooden spoon, a ladle, serving bowls



Ingredients:
  • 1 butternut squash (1½ -2 pounds)
  • 6 cups vegetable broth
  • 5-6 large basil leaves
  • 1 tablespoon grated ginger
  • 2 teaspoons onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • 1 tablespoon yellow curry paste
  • 1-14 oz can coconut milk
  • 2 tablespoons of butter
  • Garnish with cream and crystallized ginger 
  1. Cut the squash in half with the large knife.  Scoop out the seeds and stringy stuff.  Put the squash, cut side down, on the microwave safe plate and zap for 10 minutes or until the squash is soft.
  2. While the squash is cooking, put the broth, basil leaves, ginger, onion powder, and salt on to boil.
  3. When the squash is cool enough to touch, use the large spoon to scoop out the soft flesh and add it to the boiling broth.  Boil until the squash is completely soft.  Stir in the curry paste.  Turn off the heat.  Fish the basil leaves from the soup.  Use the immersion blender to completely purée the squash and ginger.
  4. Stir in the coconut milk and butter.
  5. To serve, ladle a serving into each bowl, top with a swirl of cream and a few pieces of chopped crystallized ginger.

No comments:

Post a Comment