This dish may require a trip to your local pan-Asian grocery. While there you should walk around and buy something new to try in your kitchen. (Read the entire recipe before starting.)
Servings: 4-6Hardware: Measuring spoons and cups, a cutting board and knives, an 8x8 baking dish, a microwave safe plate and bowl, 3 small bowls and a fork, a sauce pot, a whisk, a colander, a spatula, a plate, a wooden spoon, a large non-stick skillet
Time: Prep: 15 minutes Cooking: 8-10 minutes
- 8 oz dried rice noodles (about the size and shape of fettuccine)
- 1 ½ tablespoons tamarind paste
- ½ tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon Sriracha sauce (depending on your taste)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon olive oil + 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 green onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 large eggs
- 8 oz (½ bag) frozen carrots
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- ¾ pound (31-35 count) shrimp (You can usually buy these from the butcher already cleaned)
- 2 limes
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup roasted peanuts
- ½ cup bean sprouts
- In the baking dish soak the noodles according to the package instructions.
- Chop the peanuts and cilantro, set aside. Slice 1 of the limes. Juice the other lime into a bowl. Chop the green onions, keeping the white and green parts separate. Chop the garlic.
- Place the frozen carrots in a microwave safe bowl with 2 tablespoons of water. Cover them with a microwave safe plate and zap on high for 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Put the cornstarch in a small bowl with 2 tablespoons cold water. Use the fork to stir until the cornstarch dissolves. Beat the eggs in another small bowl. Set aside.
- Rinse the shrimp and remove their tails.
- In the sauce pot, whisk together tamarind paste, peanut butter, fish sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, Sriracha, and chicken stock. Heat on medium low until everything is mixed together and the sauce is warm. Turn off the heat.
- Drain the noodles.
- In the skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of the olive oil on medium-high. Scramble the eggs until they are very soft set, 30 seconds. Transfer the eggs to the plate.
- Add the rest of the oil to the skillet. Add the white parts of the green onion, garlic and shrimp. Stir constantly, for about 2 minutes.
- Add the noodles, carrots, and sauce to the skillet. Stir constantly, and cook until noodles are soft, about 2 minutes. Add the cornstarch-y water and allow the sauce to thicken, another 30 seconds.
- Add the eggs and lime juice, stir until the eggs are broken up and mixed in, another 30 seconds. Remove from the heat.
- To serve place the pad Thai in bowls, top with cilantro, green onions, sprouts and peanuts. Give each guest a lime wedge.