Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Sunday, September 1, 2019

Even Dirtier Rice


Dirty Rice is one of my favorite side dishes. You can try that recipe some other time. This recipe is for Even Dirtier Rice. The addition of shrimp, chicken and sausage makes this an entrée. Also, the technique for cooking rice is different. I think it adds more flavor.

The idea for Even Dirtier Rice blew in on a storm. Really. A hurricane is headed our way. I needed to use up the odds and ends in the fridge before the storm came. I had a chicken breast, 2 sausages and ½ pound of shrimp thawing out. They were going to be three meals for the two of us, but I was worried that we might be without power, so I cooked them all together. How to do that? We ate at an Italian restaurant the night before, so pasta was not a choice. The minute I thought of rice, I thought of Dirty Rice, but with all this extra stuff it is even dirtier.

This is very good if you choose to follow this recipe exactly. However, I always give suggestions for making this you own. You can cut up the holy trinity yourself. It is made up of equal parts of onion, green peppers and celery. Holy trinity creates the base of most Creole/Cajun cooking. I find with just the two of us eating, it is cheaper to buy it already sliced. If you have a large family and will use the extra pepper and celery, then do it yourself. Also, all the people I know who live in Louisiana use Tony Chachere’s Seasoning. Be aware that it is salty, so either get the low sodium or be careful. Know, too, that most andouille sausage is spicy. If you prefer milder dishes, you can substitute a smoked sausage like kielbasa.
 
Even Dirtier Rice
Servings: 4-5 cups of rice, serves 4-6
Hardware:  A cutting board and knives, measuring spoons and cups, a strainer (sieve,) a deep skillet with a lid, a large bowl, a slotted spoon, tongs and a fork
Time:  Active time 20 minutes; Cook: 30 minutes, rice in about 45 minutes

Ingredients:

  • Olive oil for the bottom of the pan
  • ½ pound medium shrimp (peeled and de-veined)
  • ½ pound chicken breast
  • ½ pound andouille sausage
  • 8 ounces holy trinity (can be found, sliced in the produce section)
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 1 tablespoon chicken base (I use Better than Bullion)
  • 1¾ cups boiling water
  • 2 cups long-grain, white rice
  • 2 teaspoons Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning
  • Salt and pepper

  1. Rinse the rice in the sieve until the water runs clear. Roughly chop the chicken and slice the sausage. Set aside.
  2. Cover the bottom of the skillet in oil and heat on medium high. When the oil is shimmery, cook the shrimp until it is just beginning to turn opaque. You will finish cooking in the rice. Remove it to the large bowl. Add the chicken and sausage to the same pan. Remove when the chicken is lightly browned on both sides.
  3. Add the butter to the same skillet, when it has melted, add the veggies, Tony Chachere’s and rice. Stir until the rice begins to toast (about two minutes.) Add the boiling water and chicken base and stir until the base dissolves. Return the meat to the skillet. Bring to a boil.
  4. Turn the rice down to simmer and cover with the lid. Simmer for exactly 18 minutes. Remove from the heat, but do not remove the lid. Allow the rice to rest for 10 minutes. It is still cooking so it is important to leave it alone.
  5. Taste and adjust the salt and pepper. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment