Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Dirty Rice

I like to make Dirty Rice as a side dish to go with po’ boys.  Authentic Dirty Rice is made with chicken livers, which my husband doesn’t like.  I myself am a fan of chicken livers but a great deal of happiness is knowing when to compromise. 














Servings: 4-6
Hardware:  A cutting board and knives, measuring spoons and cups, a pot with a lid, a wooden spoon,
Time:  prep:  10 minutes, cook: 30 minutes, rest: 3 minutes

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound bulk sausage
  • ½ a small bell pepper (¼ cup)
  • 1 small onion (¼ cup)
  • 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
  • 1 tablespoon dried parsley
  • 1 pinch Cayenne pepper
  • 2 ¼ cups low sodium chicken broth
  • 1 cup of rice
  1. Dice the pepper and onion, the smaller the better.  Set aside
  2. Cook and crumble the sausage in the pot over medium heat until it is no longer pink.  This will take about 6-7 minutes.  Stir often.  Add the onion and pepper and cook for 2-3 more minutes, stirring often.
  3. Stir in the chicken stock and allow the mixture to come to a boil.  Stir in the remaining ingredients and wait for it to return to a boil.
  4. Cover with the lid and turn the rice down to simmer.  Simmer, without opening the lid, for 20 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
  5. Remove from the heat, with the lid still on, and allow it to rest for 3 minutes. 
  6. Fluff with a fork and serve warm.  Offer your guests hot sauce.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment