Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Raspberry Cheese Pastries



I love raspberries. L-O-V-E. I keep frozen berries in the fridge for making smoothies, stirring into oatmeal, dropping into champagne and now for making pastries. Fresh berries would be great, too. Just make sure to drain them or your filling will be too runny to use. These were very easy. I didn’t seal them completely because I like the way these look, I just scooped up anything that leaked out and plopped it on top.

We ate these for breakfast, but they would make a wonderful dessert-with a side of vanilla ice cream. St. Valentine’s Day is less than a month from now. Your sweetie would love these, drizzled with chocolate. Okay. Now I’m hungry again.   
 
Raspberry Cheese Pastries
Servings:  4 pastries
Time: Active time: 10 minutes; Thaw: 20 minutes Cook: 15-20 minutes; pastries in about an hour
Hardware:  Measuring spoons and cups, a clean flat surface, a rolling pin, a strainer, a mixer and mixing bowl, a silicone spatula, a small bowl, a fork, a pastry brush, parchment paper or silicone baking mat, and a baking sheet

Ingredients:

  • 1 frozen puff pastry sheet
  • ½ cup frozen raspberries (you could use blackberries, dewberries, loganberries, etc.)
  • 8 ounces softened cream cheese
  • 1 egg separated
  • ¼ cup granulated sugar
  • 2 tablespoons sour cream
  • 2 teaspoons lemon peel
  • Powdered sugar for dusting
  • Flour
  1. Allow the pastry to thaw for about 20 minutes. Set out the cream cheese, too.
  2. Cover the baking sheet in parchment paper (or the silicone mat) and set aside. Pre-heat the oven to 400°. 
  3. Defrost the berries and drain the liquid from them.
  4. Unfold the pastry sheet onto a lightly floured work surface. Roll the sheet until it is about 10 inches by 10 inches square. Cut into four squares. Place them on the baking sheet, not touching.
  5. Mix the berries, cream cheese, egg yolk (put the white into the small bowl), granulated sugar, sour cream and lemon peel until just blended. Do not over mix.
  6. Use the fork to beat the egg white and a tablespoon of water in the small bowl.
  7. Spoon about ¼ of the filling into the center of one square. Bring up the edges and overlap. Use a little of the egg wash to seal. It is okay if they don’t close completely. Brush the tops with the egg wash.
  8. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the pastries are golden brown. It’s okay if the filling leaks out a little, just scoop it up and drop it back in. Dust with powdered sugar if desired. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment