Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Port and Cheddar Burgers

Port and Cheddar are an amazing combo


My husband and I visited St. Petersburg, FL recently to see a concert. We decided to stay for a few extra days and visit the town. St. Pete has many art galleries and artist collectives. We visited the Dali Museum and the Dale Chihuly Glass Collection. We also saw a glass blowing exhibition at the Morean Glass Studio and Hot Shop.

Happily, all this creativity wasn’t confined to visual arts.  Downtown was full of funky, little bistros, gastropubs and diners. Every meal we ate that week consisted of an everyday food elevated in some inventive and delicious way. One evening, after visiting my friend Roger’s club Enigma, we ate at a place around the corner called Engine 9. Their Wino Burger inspired me to start thinking about wine as a condiment.

I cooked a good port down until it was basically a syrup. The best cheddar that I could afford balanced that sweetness with a sharp, pleasant bite.  French fried onions complimented both flavors and added a needed crunch. It isn’t necessary to use any other toppings. In fact, I can’t think of anything that would enhance this dish without detracting from it. My husband, who is not an adventurous eater, loved these.

Servings:  6 burgers
Hardware:  Measuring cups, a sauce pot, a silicone spatula, a spatula, a heavy bottom skillet with a lid
Time:  Active time 15 minutes; Cook: 15 Minutes, Dinner in about 20 minutes

Ingredients:

  • 1 ½ pounds ground beef
  • Enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the skillet 
  •  Salt and pepper 
  •  ¾ cup of the best port that you can find
  • 12 ounces of the best cheddar you can afford 
  •  4 ounces French fried onions
  • 6 toasted buns
  1.  Cut the cheddar into 12-1 ounce slices.
  2. Place the port in the sauce pot and allow it to boil until it is a thick syrup. This took about 10 minutes, but the time could vary. You want the port to be the consistency of honey. You can cook the burgers while the port is reducing.
  3. In the skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high. Divide the ground beef into 6 equal ¾ inch patties. Make a small dimple in the center of each burger. Generously salt and pepper both sides of the patties just before placing them on the heat.
  4. Place the burgers into the skillet. Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes and then flip. Cook for 3-4 more minutes, keeping the lid on the skillet. Check the thickest burger for desired temperature. Place 2 cheese slices onto each burger during the last minute or so of cooking. Cover the skillet so that the cheese will melt.
  5. To serve, place the warm burgers onto the split buns, cheese side up. Top each burger with the a generous helping of the port sauce and then pile on the onions. So simple, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment