Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

French Dip Sliders



French Dip Sliders

My dream is to make this blog a full-time thing. I read other cooking blogs with a slight bit of envy. If only I had…what? More time, energy, drive? Whatever it requires, I need more of it. In my day job, I am a high school psychology teacher. I have 3 different classes, two of them without texts and because one of my classes is in an accelerated magnet program, I grade about 108 essays a week. So, sadly, sometimes, this hobby of mine takes a backseat. One day…

You didn’t come here to read complaints. You came here for a recipe. French Dip Sliders will not disappoint. Making them is as easy as making yourself a sandwich. You can serve them individually as appetizers or give each of your guests three of them for a meal.  I used a can of Campbell's’ Condensed Beef Consommé for dipping, but you could buy a packet of Au Jus mix. I put a little red wine, butter and a marrow bone along with the can of water in the soup when I was boiling it. Then I strained it into the serving bowls. It wasn’t any more work and made the soup taste homemade.

Servings: 12 sliders
Time:  Active time 5 minutes; Cook: 25 Minutes, Sandwiches in 35 minutes
Hardware:  A cutting board and large, serrated knife, measuring cups, a microwave safe bowl, pastry brush, cookie sheet, foil, toothpicks (optional)

Ingredients
  • A package of King’s Hawaiian Rolls
  • 1 pound roast beef cold cuts (I used Boar’s Head London Broil)
  • 2 cups shredded Gruyère (or any white cheese)
  • ⅓ cup melted butter
  • ⅔ cups French-fried onions (I used French’s Caramelized Onions)  
  • Prepared can of Beef Consommé
 
Step 2
  1. Allow the cold cuts to rise to room temperature. Pre-heat the oven to 350˚. Melt the butter in the microwave.
  2. With a large, serrated knife cut the rolls in half horizontally. Don’t separate the rolls. You want one large top and one large bottom. (See photo)
  3. Lay a large piece of foil on the cookie sheet. Place the bottom of the bread on the foil. Brush the bottom with a good bit of butter. Layer the meat over the bread. Make sure to place it evenly over the whole slab, as it is easy to pile it toward the middle. Layer the cheese over the meat, again making sure that it is spread evenly. Then top with the other ‘half’ of the bread. Pour the rest of the butter over the whole thing. Use the pastry brush to make sure everything is evenly covered. It is okay if butter pools around the bottom. Seal the whole sandwich up in the foil and bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
  4. Open the foil and sprinkle the French-fried onions over the sandwich. You can crush them up a little if needed.
  5. Return the sandwich, uncovered, to the oven and turn the broiler on for 1 to 1 ½ minutes or until the top of the bread is toasty. Watch carefully or it will burn.
  6. Allow it to rest for 2-3 minutes and then slice into 12 sliders. You can hold the sliders together by inserting a toothpick into each one if you wish.
  7. Serve warm. Provide your guests with a small bowl of warm consommé for dipping. 

No comments:

Post a Comment