Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Friday, March 27, 2015

Salmon with Brown Sugar, Garlic, and Mustard Glaze

As I’ve said before, I’m not a huge fan of fish. However, I am trying to eat better and salmon is very healthy. (I hope I didn’t negate that by glazing it in brown sugar.) Salmon is a great source of high quality protein and omega-3 fatty acids, which are good for your heart.

Besides being healthy salmon is really delicious.  When buying salmon you can choose farm raised or wild caught.  If you are buying wild caught, get Alaskan salmon as it is ecologically friendlier. Wild caught is a little gamier and firmer.  I prefer farmed because it is milder.  Many people insist that wild caught is better. Make sure if you select farm raised that the farm is in America or Canada, as those countries have regulations about cleanliness.  

Remember that fish has less connective tissue than beef, pork, or, chicken.  If you allow it to marinate for more than 30 minutes, it will get mushy. Also, I’m going to tell you now, clean up isn’t fun. Sugar is sticky.  I sprinkled my cast iron skillet with baking soda and left it sitting out for an hour, then used a scraper to clean the sugar out. If you don’t use cast iron you will need to soak the pan you use.  It is totally worth the effort.

Servings: 4
Time:    Prep: 5-10 minutes; Marinate: 30 Cook: 15-20 Minutes
Hardware:  measuring spoons, paper towels, a cutting board and knives, a small skillet, a whisk, a rubber spatula, plastic wrap, a large glass dish, a large, heavy bottomed skillet that can be used on the stove top & in the oven (I prefer cast iron), a large spatula for removing the fish intact (or a fish spatula if you have one), a thermometer

 
Ingredients:
  • 1 pound of 1 ¼ inch thick salmon
  • 5 cloves garlic
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon spicy mustard
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • Cooking spray
  • Sea salt

  1. Cut the fish into serving sizes.  Rinse in clean water and pat dry. Sprinkle both sides of the fish generously with salt.
  2. Mince the garlic. Melt the butter over medium heat in the small skillet.  Brown the garlic stirring often (about 5 minutes.) Remove the skillet from the heat and whisk in the brown sugar, soy sauce, spicy mustard, and olive oil. 
  3. Place the fish skin side down into the glass dish.  Cover the fish filets in the glaze.  You can use the spatula to make sure the filets are completely covered.  Cover the dish in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 20 minutes.  Remove the salmon from the fridge about 10 minutes before you are ready to cook it.  This allows it to cook more evenly.
  4. Pre heat the oven to 425˚.
  5. Spray the skillet you are using liberally with cooking spray and place it over medium high heat.  When the skillet in very hot, use the wide (or fish) spatula to place the salmon, skin side down, into it.  Do not mess with the fish.  You want the skin to get crispy.  Cook the filets on top of the stove for 5 minutes, then place them in the oven until they flake easily.  How long this takes depends upon the thickness of the filets.  I cooked mine for 7 minutes. Start with 5 and check every minute after that.  You don’t want to overcook salmon-gross.  It is ready when the thermometer reads 140˚ degrees.  When in doubt, undercook. Food continues to cook until it cools down.
  6. Serve right away.  This would be lovely on top a bed of rice or orzo. I made lemony couscous and a side salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment