Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Basil Pesto

Basil Pesto
This is one of the simplest but tastiest  sauces you will ever make.  Pesto is one of Jeff’s favorites, so we use it often.  You will, too.  You can toss it over pasta, rub it on chicken before baking, use it as a sandwich spread, use it in place of pizza sauce, or stir it into Alfredo sauce. 
















Servings:  1 cup
Time:  10 minutes
Hardware:  Measuring cups and spoons, a food grinder (processor or blender), a rubber spatula, and an airtight container

Ingredients:
  • 2 packed cups of fresh basil
  • 1/4 cup of pine nuts 
  • 3 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • S&P to taste
  1. Wash the basil leaves and crush the garlic.
  2. Put the basil and the pine nuts in the processor and grind a few times.  Add the garlic, grind a few times more.
  3. With the processor running, slowly add the olive oil.
  4. Stop and scrape down the sides with the spatula.
  5. Add the Parmesan and grind a few more times.
  6. S&P to taste.
  7. Store in the airtight container, in the fridge, for a week.
Uses:  Smear over chicken before baking, place a spoonful on top of individual steaks before serving, mix ½ cup with 8oz of cream cheese for an excellent cheese spread, toss with fresh pasta for a delicious side dish, mix a little in your mayo to use as a sandwich spread .

Use when making my White Spinach and Shrimp Pizza or Linguine with Spinach and Pesto, Caprese Burgers

No comments:

Post a Comment