Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Monday, February 11, 2019

Black Bean Burgers



Black Bean Burgers


Every Monday, we go vegetarian. By celebrating Meatless Monday, we are going easy on our wallets and our hearts. I usually just share a no measure recipe on A Bite to Eat’s Facebook page. However, this recipe deserved to be written down.

You could add green peppers, garlic or jalapeños to the burgers with the onions. You can used leftover quinoa or used a pre-cooked pouch. I also think that these would be very kid friendly.

If you skip the rolls, these burgers are high in fiber and protein and have a low glycemic index

I you like these, try the Mushroom Not Burgers









Servings: 10 sliders or 5 burgers
Hardware: A can opener, a strainer, cutting board and knives, measuring spoons and cups, a food processor, a silicone spatula, a large bowl, a spatula, a non-stick skillet (I used cast iron)
Time: Active time: 8 minutes; Cook: 10 minutes; Bean burgers in half an hour

Ingredients:

  • 1-26 ounce can black beans (I like Bush’s)
  • 2 cups cooked quinoa
  • 1 egg
  • 1 small onion (4-6 ounces)
  • ½ cup unseasoned bread crumbs
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • Olive oil for the bottom of the pan 
  • Buns and burger fixings


1.       Rinse and drain the beans
2.       Roughly dice the onions
3.       Add everything to the work bowl of the processor and pulse until the beans are a paste. You should stop a few times to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl. The beans will become the consistency of Play-Doh or modeling clay.
4.       Heat the oil in the skillet over medium. Form the bean mixture into ½ to ¾ inch patties. Shape the patties to fit the buns you are using.
5.       When the pan is hot, sauté the patties 4-5 minutes on each side. They should have a crispy crust on the outside. Make sure that they are not burning. You may need to coat the pan between batches. You can keep the cooked patties warm on the lowest setting in the oven.
6.       Serve the bean burgers with the same topping you would serve with hamburgers.

No comments:

Post a Comment