I made this for potluck a few weeks ago. When I got home, I realized that someone had kept the leftovers. One of the people at the party texted me to ask if the recipe was on the blog. It was not. Then some friends invited us over to go swimming. Not wanting to arrive empty handed, I made more of this because I still had the ingredients on hand. I accidentally forgot the leftovers. My friend texted me that they had eaten all of it and did I have the recipe?
This has been kitchen tested by quite a few people and everyone says, “Yummy!” So, here by popular demand, is the recipe for The Best Macaroni Salad Ever!
Servings: 12- ½ cup servings (seriously, who eats that little?)
Time: Prep: 10 minutes, Cook: 9 minutes, Chill: 2 hours
Hardware: measuring spoons and cups, a cutting board and knives, a mixing bowl, a pot, a colander, a large storage container
- 8 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 cups + ½ cup olive oil based mayo
- 1½ cups + ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup crumbled bacon pieces (you can cook 16 slices of bacon or buy the REAL bacon crumbles which are usually found with salad dressing and croutons)
- 4 eggs
- 4 green onions (½ cup)
- 1-7 ounce jar sliced pimentos, drained
- ⅓ cup dill pickle relish
- ½ cup finely chopped black olives (just buy them in a jar)
- Salt & pepper
|The Best Macaroni Salad EVER!|
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions. Rinse in cold water and drain.
- Boil the eggs. You can cook the eggs and the macaroni together to save time.
- While the macaroni and eggs are cooking slice the green onions as thinly as possible. Use both the white and green parts.
- Roughly chop the eggs.
- Mix everything with the cup of mayo and sour cream. Reserve the ½ cup of each for later. Taste and adjust the salt.
- Refrigerate the salad for at least 2 hours, but preferably overnight.
- Mix in the reserved dressing and a few grinds of black pepper just before serving.
- Pasta is thirsty and will soak up most of the dressing. The reserved stuff will ensure that your salad is creamy.