Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Lime-Ginger-Garlic Dressing

We recently returned from a week in St. Martin.  While there, we sailed  one day from sunrise to sunset on the catamaran, the Celine.  The water was beautiful blue-green and clear as glass.  We spent the day swimming, snorkeling, and even took a mud bath.  Celine's captain, Neil, prepared lunch for us in the catamaran’s galley.  The food was insanely wonderful.  This is inspired by that lunch.

I prefer to make my own dressing.  I have even made my own mayonnaise at times, but I won’t go there in the interest of making this simple.  You can tweak this by omitting the cayenne or amping it up a bit.  If the dressing doesn’t have enough ginger flavor for you, add some powdered ginger.  The flavor of powdered spices is much more concentrated than fresh. Same goes for the garlic.  You could even substitute other citrus fruit for the lime. 

 Servings:  1 ¼  cups
Time: 10 minutes
Hardware:  Measuring cups and spoons, a zester, a whisk, a plastic spatula, an airtight container

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • zest and juice from 1 large lime (You’ll need 3 tablespoons juice)
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1 tablespoon grated ginger
  • ½ tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 teaspoon soy sauce
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • pinch cayenne pepper

Tart, tangy, sweet, with a little bite
Great as a salad dressing


  1. Zest and juice the lime. 
  2. Mash the garlic.
  3. Whisk everything together. 
  4. Store the Lime-Ginger-Garlic Dressing in the fridge until you are ready to use it.  Allow the dressing to rest for at least 2 hours, but preferably overnight, to allow the flavors to meld.  The dressing will keep for 3-4 days if you store it in the refrigerator.


I served this on a mixed green salad with strawberries, walnuts, and Parmesan cheese.  I think it would be wonderful as a dip for fried shrimp or as a condiment on crab cakes or with Fish Tacos.
I also used this as a sauce for Caribbean Grouper.

No comments:

Post a Comment