|Crispy Chicken Tacos|
So, I sliced the jicama, tossed it with the cabbage and poured on a citrus dressing to make Jicama Slaw. Then I made chicken strips flavored with chili powder. From this, Crispy Chicken Tacos were born. My husband loved them so much that he had the leftovers for breakfast the next day.
I use large plastic bags to coat the chicken to make clean up easier. You can use normal taco toppings-lettuce, tomatoes-if you wish.
Time: Active: 15 minutes Cooking: 8 minutes Tacos in less than half an hour
Hardware: A cutting board and knife, measuring spoons and cups, 2-1-gallon plastic zip bags, a deep skillet, tongs, a paper towel covered plate and a thermometer
- 1.5 1b boneless skinless chicken breast
- ¼ cup corn starch
- ½ cup of all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- Oil to fill the pan half way
- 6 flour tortillas
- Optional: Jicama Slaw, Lime Chipotle Mayo or Salsa Verde
- Cut the chicken into serving size pieces.
- Place the corn starch, flour and seasonings into one of the plastic bags. Seal and shake. Place the egg and milk into the other plastic bag. Massage the bag until completely mixed.
- Preheat the oil on medium high. You know the oil is hot enough when some flour dropped into the skillet begins to sizzle.
- Place the chicken into the flour mixture and shake to coat. Remove the chicken from the bag, shaking as much flour from it as possible. Place the chicken into the egg mixture and toss to coat. Then put it back not the flour mixture and shake.
- Place each piece of chicken into the hot oil and fry until golden brown. This will take about five minutes. Flip each piece and fry until cooked through. The thermometer should read 165˚ when inserted into the thickest piece. Place onto the paper towel covered plate. You can keep it warm in the oven on the lowest setting.
- Follow the package directions to heat the tortillas. Fill each shell with a few pieces of chicken. You can top the tacos with anything you like. I suggest Jicama Slaw and Lime Chipotle Mayo or Salsa Verde.