Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Friday, June 21, 2013

Rèmoulade Sauce

Rèmoulade sauce was invented in France but has become very popular in Louisiana cuisine. The sauce I make leans Louisiana.  It is mayonnaise based and can be used instead of  tartar sauce.   I always make some whenever we are having fried shrimp, battered fish, or crab cakes.  We have even dipped French fries in it.  Rèmoulade is an excellent condiment on Shrimp Po’ Boys, which is why I made this batch. 

You can tweak this recipe by adding capers or horseradish.  You can also substitute spicy mustard for some or all of the Dijon. Depending on your tolerance for heat, you can increase or omit the hot sauce.  The sauce will keep in the refrigerator for 3 days and should in fact be allowed to rest overnight before serving.  So good.

Servings:  Makes 1 cup
Time:  prep: 5-10 minutes;  rest: 2 hours-overnight
Hardware:  Measuring cups and spoons, a cutting board and knives, a whisk or fork, a mixing bowl, a rubber spatula, an airtight container

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon fresh (or dried) parsley
  • 1 tablespoon Louisiana style hot sauce
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
  • Pinch cayenne pepper
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 green onion
  1. Slice the green onion as thinly as possible.  Dice the garlic and parsley, the smaller the better. Set aside.
  2. Whisk the remaining ingredients together until everything is thoroughly combined.  Stir in the onion, garlic, and parsley.
  3. Place the sauce into the airtight container and put it in the fridge.  Allow the sauce to rest for at least 2 hours, but preferably overnight.
  4. Use the Rèmoulade sauce to spice up your seafood dishes.
Rèmoulade Sauce is perfect with
Shrimp Po' Boys

No comments:

Post a Comment