Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Sunday, November 16, 2014

Dijon Roasted Whole Cauliflower Head

I tried roasting a whole cauliflower head last week using someone else’s recipe.  It involved Greek yogurt, which I love.  It was not good.  Decidedly not good.  So I asked myself, “What tastes go well together?” “Mustard and fennel,” myself answered.  I added lemon juice and olive oil so that the cauliflower would actually roast.

This was wonderful.  It also looks really cool, so it is fun to serve.  Also important, maybe the most important thing, is this is so easy to make. 

Dijon Roasted Cauliflower
Servings: 6-8
Time: prep: 10 minutes, rest time: 10 minutes, roast: 50-60 minutes
Hardware: Cutting board and knives, measuring spoons and cups, a mixing bowl, a pastry brush, foil, a baking sheet, a wooden skewer, and a small microwave safe bowl

Ingredients:
  • 1 large head of cauliflower
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • ½ cup light olive oil
  • ¼ cup lemon juice
  • ¼ cup Dijon mustard
  • ½ teaspoon + ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
  • Salt
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  1. Preheat the oven to 450° degrees F. Line the sheet with foil,
  2. Remove the green leaves from the cauliflower.  Cut the stem so that the cauliflower can sit flat.
  3. Chop the garlic.
  4. Mix the garlic, oil, lemon juice, mustard, and ½ teaspoon fennel seeds.
  5. Place the cauliflower onto the prepared baking sheet.  Pour the mustard mixture over the cauliflower.  Use the pastry brush to make sure it is covered. Allow the cauliflower to sit for 10 minutes to allow the marinade to soak in.
  6. Salt the cauliflower and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a long wooden skewer passes through with ease.
  7. Melt the butter with the remaining fennel in the microwave.  Pour over the cauliflower before serving.

2 comments: