We are still staying in as much as possible even though restaurants are opening up. Most years, I try to come up with a new burger recipe for Memorial Day, as burgers are great for summer and summer is just beginning. However, lockdown has forced me to get creative and try changing up old ideas.
Cheeseburger Gnocchi is a twist on Cheeseburger Pasta which is a twist on the Burgers we all know and love. This is really easy to make and takes no time and no talent. Inexpensive and kid friendly, Cheeseburger Gnocchi is also really tasty, comfort food.
Hardware: A cutting board and knives, measuring spoons and cups, a can opener, a skillet that can be used on the stove top and in the oven, a large pot, a colander, a slotted spoon or a skimmer, a wooden spoon
Time: Cook time: 30 minutes, active time: 20 minutes, Dinner in about 40 minutes
- 16 ounces gnocch
- 1 ½ ground chuck
- 1 cup chopped onion (5 oz)
- 1 can of Original Ro-Tel-drained
- 3 tablespoons of ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Montreal steak seasoning
- ½ tablespoon of mustard
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- ½ + ½ cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Optional: seeded and chopped tomatoes, chopped green onions
- Pre-heat the oven to 400˚. Chop the onion. Open and drain the Ro-Tel. Put the large pot of water onto boil.
- Cook and crumble the ground chuck over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until the meat is no longer pink. This should take about 7 minutes. Drain. Return the meat mixture to the skillet. Stir in the ketchup, steak seasoning, mustard, soy sauce, and drained Ro-tel. Turn to low.
- Add the gnocchi to the boiling water. Gnocchi cooks in 3-4 minutes. It is done when it floats. Use the slotted spoon or skimmer to scoop the floating pasta out of the pot and place it in the skillet with the meat mixture.
- When all the pasta is in the skillet, add ½ cup of cheese and stir. Taste and adjust the salt.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top of the dish. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling.
- Rest for 5 minutes before serving.You can top the gnocchi with chopped tomatoes and green onions before serving.