|Sheet Pan Beef and Broccoli|
Since I made my last post, a great deal has changed. A worldwide pandemic has us all locked in our homes practicing social distancing. I have seen many friends on social media commenting on how difficult it is to cook for every meal. Our local grocery store shelves look like the Saturday after Black Friday: no toilet paper, no cleaning supplies, no eggs and very little meat.
Sheet Pan Beef and Broccoli is the perfect quarantine food. You probably have the ingredients on hand. You can also change or omit many of the ingredients and it will turn out fine. I used ribeye (there was a sale.) However, you could use hanger steak, sirloin or flank. You could also substitute chicken or shrimp. You will need to adjust the cooking time to 15-20 minutes for chicken. Sesame seeds and ginger are optional. You can also substitute regular vegetable oil for the sesame oil.
Time: Prep: 10 minutes: Marinate: 10 minutes Cooking: 10 minutes-dinner in 30 minutes
Hardware: A cutting board and knife, a measuring spoons and cups, a large mixing bowl, a colander, a microwave safe bowl, a fork or whisk, a baking sheet, foil, tongs
- 1.5 pounds steak
- 10-ounce steam-in-the-bag broccoli
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 medium onion
- ⅔ cups soy sauce
- ½ + ⅓ cups COLD water
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon + 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- ½ teaspoon pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Cooking spray
- Salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Cover the baking sheet in foil and generously spray with cooking spray.
- Cut the steak into ¼ inch thick, bite size pieces. Slice the garlic and onion. Set aside.
- Mix the soy sauce, ½ cup water, dark brown sugar, oil, 1 teaspoon of ginger, and the pepper flakes together in the large bowl. Set aside ⅓ cup of the marinade in the microwave safe bowl. Place the steak into the large bowl and make sure it is covered in the marinade. Allow it to sit for 10 minutes.
- While the meat is marinating, open the bag of broccoli and place it in the colander. Rinse it under very hot water and allow it to drain.
- Spread the broccoli, sliced garlic and onion in a single layer on the prepared sheet pan. Sprinkle it with salt and pepper and the rest of the ginger. Drain the steak, discarding the marinade. Spread the steak out on the broccoli. Make sure everything is in a single layer. Roast for 10 minutes or until the desired temperature.
- While the food is cooking, mix the remaining ⅓ cup of COLD water and the cornstarch into the reserved marinade. Place in the microwave on high for 60 seconds. Stir and microwave for an additional 90 seconds. This will make a sauce.
- Remove the Beef and Broccoli from the oven and sprinkle with sesame seeds if you are using them. Serve over rice and top with the sauce.