Eat!

Eating is a necessity. However, we choose what to eat. The choices we make reveal a great deal about us. The food you eat can tell quite a bit about your heritage, your family, your fears, your sense of adventure, your attitude toward yourself and others, and a myriad of other personal tidbits to anyone paying attention. Everything about eating is a glimpse into your soul.

I hope to reveal a little bit about myself to you through my food. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy eating. I find pleasure in bringing pleasure to others. I hope that by sharing my recipes I bring you a little bit of joy.

Cook my food. Feed it to the people you love.

Monday, May 27, 2013

How to Make a Cheese Sauce

Making a cheese sauce is simple and something everyone should know how to do.  This sauce is wonderful over broccoli (or other veggies), stirred into rice, as the cheese in mac-n-cheese, over chips to make nachos, as fondue, and anything else you can imagine.  You can tweak the taste by using different cheeses.  Asiago, any blue cheese, Brie, Camembert, Colby, fontina, Gouda, Gruyère, Havarti, and Monterey Jack all melt smoothly.  Always remove the rind from any cheese before using it in cheese sauce. 

Ingredients:
Servings: 2 ½ cups
Time:    Prep: 5 minutes, Cook: 10 minutes
Hardware:  Measuring spoons and cups, a whisk, a wooden spoon, a sauce pan

Ingredients:
  • ⅛ cup butter
  • ⅛ cup flour
  • ½ teaspoon dry mustard
  • A pinch of black pepper
  • 1 ½ cups milk
  • 2 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese
  1. Melt the butter over medium heat.
  2. Whisk in the flour, mustard, and pepper.  Make sure there are no lumps.
  3. Slowly stir in the milk until it is smooth.
  4. Stir in the grated cheese.
  5. Stir constantly until the sauce is melted and thick.  Serve warm.

Healthy Ingredients Make Real Food

No comments:

Post a Comment